I don’t have much to say about this one, except that it’s a recipe I got from a blog I follow called No Recipes and it’s super fresh and delicious. Now, unlike the cucumber salad a couple weeks ago, I really recommend taking the time to salt and drain the carrots in this one. It really changes the texture of the carrots and gives the salad a unique crunch.
[Prep: 20min* / Cook: –]Ingredients
– 3 whole carrots
– 1 red onion
– 1 avocado
– 1 can of tuna
– sesame seeds
– sesame oil
*plus optional salting timeSteps
- Rinse, peel and julienne or thinly slice the carrots.
- Put the carrots in a bowl and lightly coat them in salt. Let sit for about half an hour.
- Squeeze and drain the carrots to let out all the excess water.
- Thinly slice the onion and peel and cube the avocado.
- Mix the carrots, onion, avocado, tuna and sesame seeds in a large bowl and drizzle with sesame oil.
- Ready to eat!
Recipe from Carrot, Tuna and Avocado Salad on NoRecipes.comNotes & Variations
- No matter how many tricks I look up, julienning carrots is quite difficult and time-consuming. A quick alternative is to use a peeler to make carrot shavings instead. Just peel the carrots down to nothing and either chop a bit with a knife or leave in long strands.
- Or you can buy a bag of pre-shredded carrots or try running them over a cheese grater.
- To round this salad out a bit more, I served it over couscous last time and it turned out really well.
- Other mix-ins that would go well: pecans, walnuts, raisins, cabbage, bean sprouts